Associate professor at UPC
Research area: Algebra
PhD in Mathematics obtained at University of Utah (1996)
I got my PhD at University of Utah in 1996. Since then, I had postdoc positions at Tufts University (3 years) and Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (1 year). Currently an Associate Professor at UPC since 2000. My research area is Geometric Group Theory. I have about 30 research papers in the area. I have visited several universities for different periods in my career: CRM (year 2004-05), CUNY (six months 2007-08), The University of Newcastle (Australia, three months 2014). I am a member of the Barcelona research team in group theory at www.grupsbcn.cat.
- Geometric Group Theory
- Quasi-isometry invariants for finitely generated groups
- Thompson’s groups
- Groups acting on rooted trees
- Burillo, José; Elder, Murray Metric properties of Baumslag-Solitar groups. Internat. J. Algebra Comput. 25 (2015), no. 5, 799–811.
- Bridson, Martin R.; Burillo, José; Elder, Murray; Šuni?, Zoran On groups whose geodesic growth is polynomial. Internat. J. Algebra Comput. 22 (2012), no. 5.
- Burillo, José; Cleary, Sean; Röver, Claas E. Commensurations and subgroups of finite index of Thompson’s group F. Geom. Topol. 12 (2008), no. 3, 1701–1709.
- Arzhantseva, G. N.; Burillo, J.; Lustig, M.; Reeves, L.; Short, H.; Ventura, E. Uniform non-amenability. Adv. Math. 197 (2005), no. 2, 499–522.
- Burillo, J.; Cleary, S.; Stein, M. I. Metrics and embeddings of generalizations of Thompson’s group F. Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 353 (2001), no. 4, 1677–1689.