Degre in Mathematics from Facultat de Matemàtiques i Estadística, UPC, July 1996. Postgraduate studies on financial products at UPC, June 1999. P.h.D. in Applied Mathematics, UPC, November 2001. “Mesh-free methods and finite elements: friend or foe?”. Citation metrics WoK July 2015: H-index=11, average citations per article=20. Co-advisor of 3 PhD thesis in advanced numerical methods and computational modeling. Currently co-advisoring 3 PhD thesis. Lecturer at UPC since 1996. Participation and organization of several courses in the field of numerical methods and applications, at degree and master level, for both mathematics and engineering. Member of the dean team of the Facultat de Matemàtiques i Estadística since 2009.
Prizes, awards, honors and distinctions
- Jacques Louis Lions Award 2010 for Young Scientists in the field of Computational Mathematics, by European Community on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences (ECCOMAS), June 2010
- Juan Carlos Simó award 2009 for young scientist in the field of Computational Mechanics, by Sociedad Española de Métodos Numéricos en Ingenieria (SEMNI), June 2009
- Annual special doctorate award 2001-2002 by UPC.
- Computational Mechanics
- Computational Fluid Mechanics (CFD)
- Wave problems
- Bimaterial problems
- Advanced Discretization Techniques
- High-order finite elementcomputations
- Discontinuous Galerkin methods
- EXtended finite elements
- Meshless methods
- NURBS – enhancedfinite element method
- Huerta and S. Fernández-Méndez, “Enrichment and coupling of the finite element and meshless methods”, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 48,1615-1636 (2000). Times cited WoK July 2015: 99.
- S. Fernández-Méndez and A. Huerta, “Imposing essential boundary conditions in mesh-free methods”, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 193, 1257-1275 (2004). Times cited WoK July 2015: 141.
- R. Sevilla, S. Fernández-Méndez and A. Huerta, “NURBS-enhanced finite element method (NEFEM)”, International Journal For Numerical Methods in Engineering, 76, 56-83 (2008). Times cited WoK July 2015: 42.
- G. Giorgiani, S. Fernández-Méndez, A. Huerta, “Hybridizable discontinuous Galerkin with degree adaptivity for the incompressible Navier-Stokes equations”, Computers & Fluids, 73, 196-208 (2014).
- C. Gürkan, E. Sala-Lardies, M. Kronbichler, S. Fernández-Méndez, “eXtended Hybridizable Discontinous Galerkin (X-HDG) for void problems”, to appear in Journal of Scientific Computing.