Albert Guillén i Fàbregas
Albert Guillén i Fàbregas
I am an ICREA Research Professor at the Department of Information and Communications Technologies, Universitat Pompeu Fabra. I am also an Adjunct Researcher at the University of Cambridge. In 1999 I received both the Telecommunication Engineering Degree and the Electronics Engineering Degree from Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya and the Politecnico di Torino respectively, and the PhD in Communication Systems from École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne in 2004. I have held appointments at the New Jersey Institute of Technology, Telecom Italia, European Space Agency, Institut Eurécom, University of South Australia and the University of Cambridge. I am a recipient of a Starting Grant of the European Research Council. I am a member of the Young Academy of Europe and a Senior Member of the IEEE. I am an Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Information Theory and of the Foundations and Trends on Communications and Information Theory.
I am a recipient of the Starting and Consolidator Grants of the European Research Council.
The broad theme of my research is the mathematical foundations of communications, spanning the fields of Information Theory, Coding Theory, Communications Theory and Signal Processing. Its aim is to study the fundamental limits of reliable communication, along with schemes and processing algorithms that allow one to achieve them.
- G. Vazquez-Vilar, A. Tauste Campo, A. Guillén i Fàbregas and A. Martinez, “Bayesian M-ary Hypothesis Testing: The Meta-Converse and Verdú-Han Bounds are Tight”, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 2324-2333, May 2016.
- J. Scarlett, A. Somekh-Baruck, A. Martinez, A. Guillén i Fàbregas, “A Counter-Example to the Mismatched Decoding Converse for Binary-Input Discrete Memoryless Channels”, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 61, no. 10, pp. 5387-5395, October 2015.
- J. Scarlett, A. Martinez and A. Guillén i Fàbregas, “Mismatched Decoding: Error Exponents, Second-Order Rates and Saddlepoint Approximations”, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 2647-2666, May 2014.
- A. Guillén i Fàbregas, A. Martinez and G. Caire, “Bit-Interleaved Coded Modulation“, Foundations and Trends on Communications and Information Theory, Now Publishers, vol. 5, no. 1-2, pp. 1-153, 2008, ISBN 978-1-60198-1900-5. http://dx.doi.org/10.1561/0100000019
- A. Guillén i Fàbregas and G. Caire, “Coded Modulation in the Block-Fading Channel: Coding Theorems and Code Construction“, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 91-114, January 2006.