I am a Maria de Maeztu postdoctoral fellow at the Centre de Recerca Matemàtica since June 2016, and I am also a visiting research fellow at the University of Exeter (UK). Previously, I was an associate research fellow at the University of Exeter (2012 – 2016).
My main scientific achievements are in the field of discrete and continuous neural networks. They comprise novel approximation methods for spatio-temporal patterns in neural field models, and methods to uncover the link between network structure and seizure dynamics in epilepsy.
Prizes, awards, honors and distinctions
Postdoc fellowship funded by BGSMath (2016)
Best poster award at Computational Neurology (Newcastle, 2017)
- D. Avitabile, H. Schmidt. Snakes and ladders in an inhomogeneous neural field model. Physica D, 294:24-36, 2015.
- H. Schmidt, G. Petkov, M.P. Richardson, J.R. Terry. Dynamics on Networks: The Role of Local Dynamics and Global Networks on the Emergence of Hypersynchronous Neural Activity. PLoS Computational Biology, 10:e1003947, 2014.
- S. Coombes, H. Schmidt, I. Bojak. Interface dynamics in planar neural field models. Journal of Mathematical Neuroscience, 2:9, 2012.
- S. Coombes, C. R. Laing, H. Schmidt, N. Svanstedt, J. A. Wyller. Waves in random neural media. Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems Series A, 32:2951-2970, 2012.
- S. Coombes, H. Schmidt. Neural fields with sigmoidal firing rates: approximate solutions. Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems Series A, 28:1369-1379, 2010.