PhD in Electrical Engineering from the Technical University of Eindhoven
Ramón y Cajal Researcher at Universitat Pompeu Fabra
Since November 2011 I have been with the Department of Information and Communication Technologies, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, in Barcelona. I obtained my M. Sc. degree in Electrical Engineering in 1997 from the University of Zaragoza. From 1998 to 2003 I was a systems engineer at the Research Centre of the European Space Agency (ESA-ESTEC) in The Netherlands. Our work on APSK modulation was instrumental in the definition of the physical layer of DVB-S2. From 2003 to 2007 I was with the Technische Universiteit Eindhoven, where my research focused on optical communication theory. I completed a Ph. D. thesis on “Information-theoretic analysis of a family of additive energy channels” and coauthored a monograph on “Bit-Interleaved Coded Modulation”. In the years 2008-2010 I was a post-doctoral fellow with the Information-theoretic Learning Group at CWI, in Amsterdam. In 2011 I was a Research Associate at the Department of Engineering, University of Cambridge.
- Information theory.
- Coding techniques.
- Signal processing.
- Optical physics.
- Jonathan Scarlett, Anelia Somekh-Baruch, Alfonso Martinez, and Albert Guillén i Fàbregas, “A Counter-Example to the Mismatched Decoding Converse for Binary-Input Discrete Memoryless Channels“, IEEE Tran. Inf. Theory, vol. 61, no. 10, Oct. 2015, pp. 5387-5395.
- Gonzalo Vazquez-Vilar, Adrià Tauste Campo, Albert Guillén i Fàbregas and Alfonso Martinez, “ Bayesian M-ary Hypothesis Testing: The Meta-converse and Verdú-Han Bounds are Tight“, submitted to IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, November 2014, revised October 2015.
- Jonathan Scarlett, Alfonso Martinez, and Albert Guillén i Fàbregas, “Mismatched Decoding: Error Exponents, Second-Order Rates and Saddlepoint Approximations“, IEEE Tran. Inf. Theory, vol. 60, no. 5, May 2014, pp. 2647-2666.
- Alfonso Martinez, “Communication by Energy Modulation: The Additive Exponential Noise Channel“, IEEE Tran. Inf. Theory, vol. 57, no. 6, Jun. 2011, pp. 3333-3351.
- Alfonso Martinez, Albert Guillén i Fàbregas, Giuseppe Caire and Frans Willems, “Bit-Interleaved Coded Modulation Revisited: A Mismatched Decoding Perspective“, IEEE Tran. Inf. Theory, vol. 55, no. 6, Jun. 2009, pp. 2756-2765.